Obon Festival Dance Rehearsal
ddr-one-1-297 (ONLC 3116)
Black and white photographic negative of Obon dancers rehearsing an Odori folk dance inside Norse Hall in Northeast Portland. Dancers form two circles, leader of outer circle is Tomi Tsujimura, leader of inner circle is Harue Akiyama, the Odori dance teacher. Obon is an annual event hosted by the Oregon Buddhist Church (now known as Oregon Buddhist Temple) and attended by the wider Nikkei community.
- Arts and literature -- Performing arts -- Dance -- Odori
- Geographic communities -- Oregon -- Portland
- Community activities -- Festivals, celebrations, and holidays -- Obon
- Identity and values -- Japanese American identity
- Religion and churches -- Buddhism
- World War II -- Leaving camp -- "Resettlement"
- World War II -- Leaving camp -- Returning home
- Hirahara, Frank (photographer)
Japanese American Museum of Oregon; Portland, Oregon
Courtesy of Frank C. Hirahara Collection, Japanese American Museum of Oregon
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.