Obon Festival- Odori folk dance
ddr-one-1-258 (ONLC 3081)
Black and white photographic negative of Obon dancers in three partial circles performing in front of a large crowd seated in bleachers. Inner circle: Tom Shigeto Tamiyasu. Middle circle foreground to background: Joan “Janice” (Nakayama) Kimoto, Atsuko "Alice" Kida, and Atsuko "Alice" (Matsumoto) Ando. Outer circle: second from the front: Tomi Tsujimura. Obon is an annual event hosted by the Oregon Buddhist Church (now known as Oregon Buddhist Temple) and attended by the wider Nikkei community.
- Arts and literature -- Performing arts -- Dance -- Odori
- Geographic communities -- Oregon -- Portland
- Community activities -- Festivals, celebrations, and holidays -- Obon
- Identity and values -- Japanese American identity
- Religion and churches -- Buddhism
- World War II -- Leaving camp -- "Resettlement"
- World War II -- Leaving camp -- Returning home
Japanese American Museum of Oregon; Portland, Oregon
Courtesy of Frank C. Hirahara Collection, Japanese American Museum of Oregon
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.