Obon Festival- Odori folk dance
ddr-one-1-213 (ONLC 3037)
Black and white photographic negative of Obon dancers in a partial circle, a crowd encloses the dancers. Obon dancers right to left outer circle: Yoshino Fujii, Tamuro Miura, unidentified, Nobuko Yoshida, and Loretta (Fujii) Kaneko. Obon dancers right to left inner circle: fourth in Jimmy Yoshida, Patricia “Pat” (Ikata) Iboshi, Joe Shiraishi, and Yoneko (Aono) Sugimura. Obon is an annual event hosted by the Oregon Buddhist Church (now known as Oregon Buddhist Temple) and attended by the wider Nikkei community. This image was taken at Holladay Park in Portland, Oregon.
- Arts and literature -- Performing arts -- Dance -- Odori
- Geographic communities -- Oregon -- Portland
- Community activities -- Festivals, celebrations, and holidays -- Obon
- Identity and values -- Japanese American identity
- Religion and churches -- Buddhism
- World War II -- Leaving camp -- "Resettlement"
- World War II -- Leaving camp -- Returning home
Japanese American Museum of Oregon; Portland, Oregon
Courtesy of Frank C. Hirahara Collection, Japanese American Museum of Oregon
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.