ddr-one-1-295 (ONLC 3114)
Black and white photographic negative of two unidentified Japanese women in western style clothing with "tenugui" (light cotton towels) around their necks. They are holding "uchiwa" (fan) posing for the camera indoors. Obon is an annual event hosted by the Oregon Buddhist Church (now known as Oregon Buddhist Temple) and attended by the wider Nikkei community.
- Arts and literature -- Performing arts -- Dance -- Odori
- Geographic communities -- Oregon -- Portland
- Community activities -- Festivals, celebrations, and holidays -- Obon
- Identity and values -- Issei
- Religion and churches -- Buddhism
- World War II -- Leaving camp -- "Resettlement"
- World War II -- Leaving camp -- Returning home
Oregon Nikkei Endowment; Portland, Oregon
Courtesy of Frank C. Hirahara Collection, Oregon Nikkei Endowment
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.