Obon Festival- Dancers
ddr-one-1-204 (ONLC 3028)
Black and white photographic negative of three young Obon dancers posing for camera in front of large crowd. Obon dancers from left to right: Jeanne Tanaka, Toshiko (Maekawa) Okino, and Eileen Tanaka. Crowd: first sitting from the left is Joyce (Tanaka) Fedler, first from the right sitting on bench is Joe Ikata. Obon is an annual event hosted by the Oregon Buddhist Church (now known as Oregon Buddhist Temple) and attended by the wider Nikkei community. This image was taken at Holladay Park in Portland, Oregon.
- Arts and literature -- Performing arts -- Dance -- Odori
- Geographic communities -- Oregon -- Portland
- Community activities -- Festivals, celebrations, and holidays -- Obon
- Identity and values -- Nisei
- Religion and churches -- Buddhism
- World War II -- Leaving camp -- "Resettlement"
- World War II -- Leaving camp -- Returning home
Japanese American Museum of Oregon; Portland, Oregon
Courtesy of Frank C. Hirahara Collection, Japanese American Museum of Oregon
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.