Obon Festival Dance Rehearsal
ddr-one-1-298 (ONLC 3117)
Black and white photographic negative of Obon dancers rehearsing an Odori folk dance inside Norse Hall in Northeast Portland. Dancers form two lines in front of a small seated audience on the floor and in the balcony. Adult male Obon dancers on far right of image identified from right to left: Arthur Ojiro “Art” Sasaki, Reverend Zenkai Okayama, and Toraichi Kobayashi, all other dancers unidentified. Audience front row: second from the left Sueo “Buddy” Ikata, fifth from the left Kaoru Funatake. Obon is an annual event hosted by the Oregon Buddhist Church (now known as Oregon Buddhist Temple) and attended by the wider Nikkei community.
- Arts and literature -- Performing arts -- Dance -- Odori
- Geographic communities -- Oregon -- Portland
- Community activities -- Festivals, celebrations, and holidays -- Obon
- Identity and values -- Japanese American identity
- Religion and churches -- Buddhism
- World War II -- Leaving camp -- "Resettlement"
- World War II -- Leaving camp -- Returning home
Oregon Nikkei Endowment; Portland, Oregon
Courtesy of Frank C. Hirahara Collection, Oregon Nikkei Endowment
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.