Obon Festival- Odori folk dance
ddr-one-1-207 (ONLC 3031)
Black and white photographic negative of Obon dancers in a partial circle in front of a crowd that encloses the dancers. Obon dancers: left corner of image in front of dancer wearing a headscarf is Phyllis Midori (Ando) Muramatsu, behind woman in headscarf is Mabel (Maekawa) Ota followed by Kathleen "Kathie" Haruko (Matsuda) Sato, ninth from right on the back side of the circle is Kojiro Yoshida. Obon is an annual event hosted by the Oregon Buddhist Church (now known as Oregon Buddhist Temple) and attended by the wider Nikkei community. This image was taken at Holladay Park in Portland, Oregon.
- Arts and literature -- Performing arts -- Dance -- Odori
- Geographic communities -- Oregon -- Portland
- Community activities -- Festivals, celebrations, and holidays -- Obon
- Identity and values -- Japanese American identity
- Religion and churches -- Buddhism
- World War II -- Leaving camp -- "Resettlement"
- World War II -- Leaving camp -- Returning home
Oregon Nikkei Endowment; Portland, Oregon
Courtesy of Frank C. Hirahara Collection, Oregon Nikkei Endowment
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.