Obon Festival Dance Rehearsal
ddr-one-1-303 (ONLC 3122)
Black and white photographic negative of Obon dancers practicing an Odori folk dance inside Norse Hall in Northeast Portland. Second dancer from the left is identified as Atsuko "Alice" (Matsumoto) Ando. Young boy and third standing audience member from the left is identified as Eddie Tamiyasu. Obon is an annual event hosted by the Oregon Buddhist Church (now known as Oregon Buddhist Temple) and attended by the wider Nikkei community.
- Arts and literature -- Performing arts -- Dance -- Odori
- Geographic communities -- Oregon -- Portland
- Community activities -- Festivals, celebrations, and holidays -- Obon
- Identity and values -- Japanese American identity
- Religion and churches -- Buddhism
- World War II -- Leaving camp -- "Resettlement"
- World War II -- Leaving camp -- Returning home
Oregon Nikkei Endowment; Portland, Oregon
Courtesy of Frank C. Hirahara Collection, Oregon Nikkei Endowment
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.