Obon Festival- Odori folk dance
ddr-one-1-255 (ONLC 3078)
Black and white photographic negative of Obon dancers in two lines forming a large partial circle. Outer circle from right to left: second in line Toraichi Kobayashi, third in line Sakae Kobayashi, seventh in line Kojiro Yoshida, ninth in line Wako Henjyoji. Inner circle from right to left: Grace (Sakano) Robbs, Amy (Mishiro) Kanegae, Patricia “Pat” (Ikata) Iboshi. Obon is an annual event hosted by the Oregon Buddhist Church (now known as Oregon Buddhist Temple) and attended by the wider Nikkei community.
- Arts and literature -- Performing arts -- Dance -- Odori
- Geographic communities -- Oregon -- Portland
- Community activities -- Festivals, celebrations, and holidays -- Obon
- Identity and values -- Japanese American identity
- Religion and churches -- Buddhism
- World War II -- Leaving camp -- "Resettlement"
Oregon Nikkei Endowment; Portland, Oregon
Courtesy of Frank C. Hirahara Collection, Oregon Nikkei Endowment
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.