Obon Festival- Dancer
ddr-one-1-234 (ONLC 3057)
Black and white photographic negative of Harue Akiyama, the Obon dance instructor, posing for camera wearing straw hat. Obon is an annual event hosted by the Oregon Buddhist Church (now known as Oregon Buddhist Temple) and attended by the wider Nikkei community. This image was taken at Holladay Park in Portland, Oregon.
- Arts and literature: Performing arts: Dance: Odori
- Geographic communities: Oregon: Portland
- Community activities: Festivals, celebrations, and holidays: Obon
- Identity and values: Issei
- Religion and churches: Buddhism
- World War II: Leaving camp: Resettlement
- World War II: Leaving camp: Returning home
Oregon Nikkei Endowment; Portland, Oregon
Courtesy of Frank C. Hirahara Collection, Oregon Nikkei Endowment
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.