Obon Festival- Odori folk dance
ddr-one-1-198 (ONLC 3022)
Black and white photographic negative of Obon dancers in front of a crowd with arms raised. Obon dancers: second from the left is Yori Tomita, third from the left is Tomi Tsujimura, fourth from the left is Noboru Takashima, fifth from the left is Shizuko "Shiz" (Ninomiya) Onishi, eighth from the left is Shizuko "Shiz" (Ochiai) Ota Okazaki. First seated person from the left is Shizu Okubo. Obon is an annual event hosted by the Oregon Buddhist Church (now known as Oregon Buddhist Temple) and attended by the wider Nikkei community. This image was taken at Holladay Park in Portland, Oregon.
- Arts and literature -- Performing arts -- Dance -- Odori
- Geographic communities -- Oregon -- Portland
- Community activities -- Festivals, celebrations, and holidays -- Obon
- Identity and values -- Japanese American identity
- Religion and churches -- Buddhism
- World War II -- Leaving camp -- "Resettlement"
- World War II -- Leaving camp -- Returning home
Oregon Nikkei Endowment; Portland, Oregon
Courtesy of Frank C. Hirahara Collection, Oregon Nikkei Endowment
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.