Obon Festival- Odori folk dance Tanko Bushi
ddr-one-1-196 (ONLC 3020)
Black and white photographic negative of Obon dancers dancing the Tanko Bushi. Obon dancers: Patricia “Pat” (Ikata) Iboshi, Joe Shiraishi, Mrs. Okiyama, Thomas "Tom" Honma, and Jean Yasuko (Kida) Tomita. Couple to the left of the light pole are Mary (Muramatsu) Shiiki and Ray Shiiki. Obon is an annual event hosted by the Oregon Buddhist Church (now known as Oregon Buddhist Temple) and attended by the wider Nikkei community. This image was taken at Holladay Park in Portland, Oregon.
- Arts and literature -- Performing arts -- Dance -- Odori
- Geographic communities -- Oregon -- Portland
- Community activities -- Festivals, celebrations, and holidays -- Obon
- Identity and values -- Japanese American identity
- Religion and churches -- Buddhism
- World War II -- Leaving camp -- "Resettlement"
- World War II -- Leaving camp -- Returning home
Oregon Nikkei Endowment; Portland, Oregon
Courtesy of Frank C. Hirahara Collection, Oregon Nikkei Endowment
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.