Obon Festival- Odori folk dance
ddr-one-1-191 (ONLC 3015)
Black and white photographic negative of Obon dancers waving small Japanese flags. Left line from left to right: Hisano Sakamoto, Kaoru Funatake and unidentified women. Right line from left to right: Grace Mieko (Muramatsu) Ouchida, Shizuko "Shiz" (Ochiai) Ota Okazaki, Betty Nakashimada, Shiz (Fujita) Inaba and an unidentified woman. Obon is an annual event hosted by the Oregon Buddhist Church (now known as Oregon Buddhist Temple) and attended by the wider Nikkei community. This image was taken at Holladay Park in Portland, Oregon.
- Arts and literature -- Performing arts -- Dance -- Odori
- Geographic communities -- Oregon -- Portland
- Community activities -- Festivals, celebrations, and holidays -- Obon
- Identity and values -- Japanese American identity
- Religion and churches -- Buddhism
- World War II -- Leaving camp -- "Resettlement"
- World War II -- Leaving camp -- Returning home
Oregon Nikkei Endowment; Portland, Oregon
Courtesy of Frank C. Hirahara Collection, Oregon Nikkei Endowment
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.