Obon folk musicians
ddr-one-1-111 (ONLC 2916)
Black and white photographic negative of four unidentified men playing traditional Japanese instruments at the Obon Festival in front a microphone. All are dressed in happi coats and have tenugui (light cotton towel) headbands. Sitting behind the sound system is Henry Matsunaga. Obon is an annual event hosted by the Oregon Buddhist Church (now known as Oregon Buddhist Temple) and attended by the wider Nikkei community.
- Arts and literature -- Performing arts -- Music
- Geographic communities -- Oregon -- Portland
- Community activities -- Festivals, celebrations, and holidays -- Obon
- Identity and values -- Japanese American identity
- World War II -- Leaving camp -- "Resettlement"
- World War II -- Leaving camp -- Returning home
Oregon Nikkei Endowment; Portland, Oregon
Courtesy of Frank C. Hirahara Collection, Oregon Nikkei Endowment
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.